Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chocomole

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I read an interview of Jason Mraz in Vegetarian Times, and he mentioned this chocolate pudding that he makes out of avocados. Apparently, it's one of his favorite things to eat on the road when he's touring. It sounded really interesting. So, I put it on my list of recipes to try. Well since then, I have seen other chocolate pudding recipes made from avocados. Coincidence? I took this as a sign that I need to make this pudding!!! So, I decided to try the recipe today. I actually didn't follow one specific recipe...it's impossible for me to follow recipes...so here's what I did: Took two avocados and 1 cup of cocoa and put them in the food processor. Then, I added about a tbs of coconut oil (to make it silky), chocolate almond milk (unsweetened), maple syrup, and agave nectar. With the milk and maple syrup/agave nectar, I just added them little by little while the food processor was on until I got the desired consistency and sweetness.

The end result was a really yummy chocolately pudding. You honestly could not tell it was made out of avocados! The texture ended up being a little bit firmer than regular pudding, but it still looked, felt, and tasted like a dark chocolate pudding. Here are a few pics. The white on top of the pudding is shredded coconut.




In the future, I think I'll add LESS cocoa...maybe use only 1/2 a cup for two avocados and add more if need be. It was just a little too rich for my liking. I'd also use more almond milk to make it less firm. The reason I used maple syrup and agave nectar was because I didn't want to use all my agave nectar. You could probably use either by themselves.

Clearly, Vance liked it....




Give it a try! Here is the Jason Mraz recipe, if you want more specific instructions: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/690

Love,
Amy

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi Amy,

this is great, how did you find the time. Chocomole sounds like a winner, obviously Vance liked it. I really liked the Nelson Mandela quote, food for thought :) Looking forward to the next chapter in the life of my kids, grand-kids and grand-pets,
Barb