Monday, April 13, 2009

Flaxy Banana Muffins

The other day I was at Kroger and they had bags of ORGANIC ripe bananas for $1 a bag. I was so excited! I always miss out on this kind of stuff, so I grabbed 5 bags...yes 5...and froze most of them for our smoothies. I kept a few out to make the banana muffin recipe that was on the front of the banana bags. Of course, since I can't follow a recipe to save my life, I added my own twist to the muffins to make them vegan and more nutritious. (Even though we are not vegans, we try to keep our animal protein [eggs, meat, dairy] intake to a minimum.) The muffins turned out really well. Paired with a fruit smoothie or sliced apple, they are great on-the-go breakfast! Enjoy!




Flaxy Banana Muffins

1/2 cup EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil, organic)
¾ cup honey
2 tbs ground flaxseed + 6 tbs water processed in a blender on high for 30 seconds (or 2 eggs)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup ground flaxseed
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 medium to large bananas, creamed
1 medium to large banana, chopped
½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Assemble 12 muffin liners in muffin tins.

Cream EVCO, honey flaxseed/water mixture (or 2 eggs), and vanilla in a mixer.

Mix baking soda, baking powder, salt, flaxseed, and ww pastry flour with a fork until well combined. Then add the EVCO cream mixture; mix well.

Fold in creamed and chopped bananas and walnuts.

Pour mixture into muffin liners. Fill each cup about ¾ of the way full.

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The muffins look yummy! I got to your blog from DFWHolisticFamilies and I also recognize your name from the organic co-op. I pick up food in Allen from Food Frenzy. I also LOVE Sunstone yoga but I haven't been to a class in over two years. If a studio ever opens up within 5-10 miles of Wylie I'll be super excited. Congrats on your certification.

I look forward to keeping up with your blog!